Psychedelphia

I got to sit down at Chris's Jazz Cafe in Philadelphia just as Psychedelphia was setting up shop. I was excited to check them out based on their name and venue alone, but I wasn't sure what variety of jazz/psychedelic music I was going to get. When they took the stage, what I ended up getting was a well-organized, tonally pleasing jam-band that managed to skirt past predictability without getting inaccessable. Think of a less over-ambitious Phish, with Greatful Dead major chord optimism and an occasional splash of King Crimson-esque segeuways and time signatures. Not willing to let these guys slip by, I cought up with lead guitarist Kenn Mogul after the show, for a chat.


MM: Who are all the band members? How long have you guys been playing together?
Kenn: Alden Parker plays rhythm guitar, John Olsen plays bass, Adam Pasqual plays drums. We’ve been together since last August.

MM: How did you guys get started?
Kenn: Alden is from Tennessee. Adam, John, and I are all from the Pottstown area in PA. I got back from a 7 month spiritual retreat. There was an open jazz jam at this venue called Chaplans. We played together at this weekly, free form jam session for a few weeks, and we decided to start working on original material in mid-August'08. Our HQ is this place called the Nuke Farm near the power plant in Limerick.

MM: What are your influences?
Kenn: We have all different influences. The most common amongst us is the Beatles. You probably would HEAR that as much from our finished result though. Alden’s big in to Widespread Panic, Bela Fleck and the Fleck Tones, Phish… one of my biggest influences is Steve Kimmock. We have a heavy San Francisco, Denver influence, what we’re doing isn’t really done in Philadelphia.

MM: What’s the songwriting process like?
Kenn: I write 95% of the music. I write melodies in my head; I think every melody tells a story, so when I think of something, I write the melodies down with words in story form.

MM: If you don’t mind me asking, can you tell me a little bit about your 7 month spiritual retreat?
Kenn: I had just got out of the band Mogul’s Brew. Some people achieve a decent amount of success, then when the shit hit’s the fan, ya kinda go a little crazy. I sorta went the Jack Kaeroak route, Denver was the first stop. I wrote a lot of songs. Every player has to realize what they’re capable of... And then deal with the fear of what you’re capable of.

MM: Forgive the stereotypical question based on your guys sound an appearance, but… do guys, uh.. partake?
Kenn: That was a big part of the past for a few of us, but we’re all clean now and just enjoy a few beers.

MM: How long have you been playing guitar?
Kenn: I picked it up at ten, and eventually I dropped out of high school to tour with Face Down Angels. My family wasn’t thrilled, but they weren’t terrible about it either--they were just like, “you’ll learn…” and they’re right. I am learning. I know about a million ways to do it wrong, Pychedelphia is my attempt to do it right.

MM: Do you guys have any CD’s to offer?
Kenn: We record all our shows live. We have an EP that we recorded about a month after we started. We’re currently working on an LP that’s half live, half studio.

MM: Have any labels approached you guys?
Kenn: Yea, we’ve been approached a few times but we’re trying to keep it very DIY at the moment. On the horizon, we plan to look for a band to dour with on the east coast, then maybe head out west.

Pychedelphia - Submerged.mp3

Check out Psychedelphia:

No comments: