Josh Garza


Secret Machines Drummer Discusses New Album

M.M.: Josh, the new album is self titled... Why is that?
Josh: I know it sounds pompous, but the truth is there were really no stand-out songs or themes on the album, so...

M.M.: Tell me about the Warner Brothers' fiascor.
Josh: After it was recorded, Warner Brothers didn't feel like it would sell 50,000 or 100,00 copies, so they didn't want to go ahead with it. We asked them to drop us, and let us keep the album rights, but they wouldn't. Instead, they liscenced us out to an indie label. World's Fair / TSM... Most of the time, bands get dropped and these reccords get shelved all-together. Especially with today's economy, bands need to sell a million coppies... They were scared to let us go, scared to go ahead with the reccord. So doing it this way, they sorta did us a big favor.

M.M.: How do you feel about the album over all? It sounds like it very well could be your guys' best work...
Josh: Well, I'll tell you what, I'm glad you said it before me... It feels sorta [awkward] to come right out and say it, but it's just a really excellent rock reccord. Also, we did all this stuff with live tapes, no computers, it's serious rock and roll.

M.M.: Do you feel pressure from fans--now that you're developing a serious fan base-to play certain 'hits' during your live set? Are you going to be focusing mostly on the new material during shows?
Josh: We're just doing what we love to do... entertain people.. have fun... We're going to be shying away from "Now You're Gone" and "Last Believer, Drop Dead" which are two tracks in particular that we haven't really worked out a transisiton from the studio piece to a live performance yet.

M.M.: What have you been listening to lately?
Josh: Uh... Grindermen... The new Nick Cave is great! I like the new T.K. Webb. I like full reccords, can't just get into single songs...

M.M.: Who did you listen to growing up?
Josh: I grew up with 3 brothers, they played full reccords, and I got to listen to bands that have a lot of personalities in the sound. The Who, Stones, Zep, all unique personalities. And my brothers pushed me into the drums. Listening to these reccords, we'd play air-instruments a lot, and the drums were the only air-instrument left for me to pick! But the personalitiy in the music always meant a lot... U2, Joshua Tree, Actung Baby, Unforgetable Fire, they all have great songs but I didn't like the production. I didn't care about Brian Eno's drum machine, I always preferred guys banging away on stuff...

M.M.: Who do you like to read?
Josh: Kurt Vonnegut... ...he's really a funny writer!

M.M.: Any sweeping generalities about the current political climate?
Josh: You know.. it's like watching the game. People have turned politics into a sporting event. I'm not a huge fan of either party, but people don't really care any more, they don't really listen, they just root for their fuckin' team.


Check out the new Secret Machines album, and here's a youtube of Josh wailing on skins:




AddThis Social Bookmark Button
AddThis Feed Button